- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pkg (7 g) active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups (800 mL) all-purpose flour (approx.)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% whole milk, warmed
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 1 cup (125 mL) E.D. SMITH® Blueberry Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 4 oz (125 g) white chocolate, chopped and divided
- 1 egg
- Dough: Combine 1/3 cup (75 mL) warm water and 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar; stir in yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy. Whisk together flour, remaining sugar and salt; set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with dough hook, mix together milk, egg, egg yolk and butter. Mix in yeast mixture and flour mixture, adding more flour if necessary, to make smooth, soft dough.
- Place dough in oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Pull-Apart Bread: On lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into 20- x 12-inch (50 x 30 cm) rectangle; brush with melted butter. Spread blueberry pie filling over top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and half of the white chocolate.
- Cut rectangle crosswise into five 4-inch (10 cm) strips. Stack strips on top of each other. Cut into six 4- x 2-inch (10 x 5 cm) rectangles. Fit stacks snugly, cut side down, into parchment paper–lined 9- x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan. Cover and let rise for 30 to 60 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Brush egg wash over top of loaf. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. (If bread is browning too quickly, reduce oven temperature to 350˚F/180˚C and cover loosely with foil.) Let cool on rack for 15 minutes; turn out directly onto rack.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining white chocolate; drizzle over loaf. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish bread with toasted sliced almonds if desired.
- Add 2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon zest to dough for a lemon zing if desired.
- To melt white chocolate, place in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on Medium, stirring every 30 seconds for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and melted. Alternatively, place chocolate in heat-safe bowl set over larger saucepan of barely simmering water for 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate can be stirred.