2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
2 tbsp (30 mL) mild Indian curry paste
1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
1 cup (250 mL) canned diced tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® PURE PUMPKIN
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups (750 mL) cauliflower florets
2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% plain yogurt
2 naan bread, warmed and halved
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in tomato paste, curry paste and curry powder; cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, pumpkin purée and broth; bring to boil. Stir in chickpeas and cauliflower florets. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and curry is thickened.
- Stir in spinach; cook for 1 minute or until wilted. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the cilantro. Serve with yogurt and naan bread. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
- Spice up the curry with a fresh chili pepper or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) to 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes.
- Filled with chickpeas and vegetables, this curry is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meatless main.
- Substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth, if desired.
- Transfer leftover E.D.SMITH® pumpkin purée to an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.