Pastry (for 2 single crust 9” (23 cm) pies)
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) diced or grated cold unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) very cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
Pie Filling (for 1 pie)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 can (398 mL) E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt 3/4 cup (175 mL) evaporated milk
- In the bowl of a food processor or by hand in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add diced or grated butter and pulse or using a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add shortening and continue until combined. Gradually add water just until the pastry begins to come together.
- Turn out to a lightly floured surface and gather together into a ball. Cut into 2 even pieces, wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out each portion as you need it, on a lightly floured surface, transfer to pie plate and crimp edges.
- Beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. Add the E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt – stir until well combined. Blend in milk. Pour filling in pie shell. Whisk together egg and water – brush the egg wash on crust.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking 30-35 minutes longer or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool.
- Simplify this recipe by using pre-made bought pie crust. Don’t worry we won’t tell 🙂 !