- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 6 cups (1.5 L) no salt added chicken broth
- 1 can (796 mL) E.D.SMITH® PURE PUMPKIN
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk, light cream or evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook the onion, apple and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the curry powder and cinnamon. Add the broth and pumpkin; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Purée with an immersion blender (or in a batches in a blender) until smooth. Add milk and heat gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For entertaining, garnish soup with a drizzle of yogurt and a sprig of fresh cilantro or parsley.
- To make the soup dairy free, use oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of milk or light cream.
- To make the soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.