1/2 cup (125 mL) gluten-free flour
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground nutmeg and cloves
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
3/4 cup (175 mL) ED SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
3 tbsp (45 mL) 35% whipping cream, at room temperature
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
1 tsp (5 mL) flaked sea salt, divided
- Blondies: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together butter, sugar and maple syrup; stir in egg and vanilla. Stir in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture, mixing just until blended. Scrape into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until a few moist crumbs still adhere to tester inserted in centre. Let cool completely on rack.
- Salted Caramel: Meanwhile, add sugar to small heavy-bottom skillet. Pour in 2 tbsp (30 mL) water. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown throughout, swirling gently if sugar is browning unevenly.
- Carefully add cream, stirring in slowly with wooden spoon until combined. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt. Let cool completely.
- Drizzle caramel over blondies. Cut into squares. Sprinkle with remaining sea salt.
- Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted pecans.
- Wrap and freeze the blondies – they’re great make-ahead treats.