3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk, room temperature
2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder and vanilla
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
1 1/3 cups (325 mL) granulated sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 can (540 mL) E.D. SMITH® PIE FILLING
1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, cubed
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with milk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Scrape half the batter into greased and floured 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking pan; dollop with half the pie filling. Top with remaining batter; dollop with remaining pie filling. Using tip of knife, swirl pie filling. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes on rack. Using handle of wooden spoon, poke about 30 holes into cake.
- Caramel Sauce: Meanwhile, in heavy-bottomed saucepan; cook sugar and 3 tbsp (45 mL) water over medium heat, without stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully add cream, stirring slowly with wooden spoon until combined. Cook for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Add butter and salt. Pour evenly over cake. Let cool. Whip cream; spread over cake.
Per 1/16 recipe: Calories 400, Fat 19g, Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 330mg, Carbohydrate 53g, Fibre 1g, Sugars 32g, Protein 4g
- Use your favourite fruit or pumpkin pie filling to make this cake
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar to measuring cup. Pour in milk to measure 1 cup (250 mL). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- When poking holes into your cake, you can also use the round end of a wooden skewer or chopstick.