2 1/4 cups (550 mL) whole wheat flour (approx.)
1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
3/4 cup (175 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/4 cup (60 mL) ice-cold water (approx.)
1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D. SMITH® CHERRY PIE FILLING
Heart-shaped candies or heart candy sprinkles
Cream Cheese Icing:
4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1. In large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt; cut in butter with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger pieces. Stir in water by tablespoonfuls until dough comes together.
2. Divide dough into 2 balls; flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
3. On lightly floured work surface, roll out each disk to about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) heart-shaped cutter, cut out 10 hearts. Reroll scraps; cut out 10 more hearts.
4. Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside.
5. Brush edges of each heart with egg wash. Place lollipop stick on top of 10 hearts, so top of stick comes to centre of heart; gently press stick into pastry. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) pie filling to centre of each heart. Cap with remaining hearts. Seal edges with fork. Brush pastry with egg wash; prick with fork to make vents.
6. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool completely in pan on rack.
7. Cream Cheese Icing: Beat together cream cheese and butter until blended; beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over pops. Sprinkle with heart candies or candy sprinkles.
1. Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® Pie fillings for pie pops.
2. Tie ribbon on lollipop sticks for a decorative touch.