2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream (approx.)
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® TRIPLE FRUITS RASPBERRY STRAWBERRY & BLACKBERRY
1 tbsp (15 mL) turbinado or coarse sugar
Butter, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces remaining.
- Whisk cream, egg and vanilla; stir into flour mixture (do not overwork the dough). Knead dough gently 4 or 5 times; divide in half. Roll out each half on lightly floured work surface; pat or roll into 7-inch (18 cm) circle.
- Spread 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the fruit spread over top of one round of dough, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Top with remaining round. Pinch to seal outside edge; cut into 8 wedges. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with additional cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C); bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with remaining fruit spread, and butter (if using).
- Use any of your favourite D.SMITH® TRIPLE FRUITS in scones.
- Add 2 tsp (10 mL) of lemon zest or orange zest to dough for citrus flavour.
- If two layers of scone are slipping, insert a toothpick into scone point while baking to keep in place; remove after baking.