Strawberry Cake Layers
- 3 cups (360g) All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Full Fat Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Puréed E.D.SMITH Strawberry Pie Filling
- 2 cups (400g) White Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp (10ml) Vanilla
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegetable Oil
- 3 cups (681g) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 10 cups (1200g) Confectioners Sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) Puréed E.D.SMITH Strawberry Pie Filling
- Pinch of Salt
Strawberry Cake Layers
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and prepare three 6” springform cake pans with cooking spray and parchment rounds. In a medium to large sized mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt, then whisk together to combine. Set aside. In a separate measuring cup, combine the sour cream and puréed E.D.SMITH Strawberry Pie Filling until smooth. Set aside
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat on high for around 5 minutes, the mixture should look thick, fluffy, and be tripled in volume. Then, slowly drizzle in the oil. After all the oil has been added, beat for an additional minute.
- On low, add the dry mixture to the stand mixer in 3 additions, alternating with the pie filling/sour cream mixture in between. Beat only until the batter becomes smooth.
- Divide the batter between the three pans, then bake in the oven for around 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely before assembling.
- Add the butter to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn the stand mixer to low and slowly add the confectioners sugar. Beat until completely incorporated, then add in the puréed E.D.SMITH Strawberry Pie Filling and salt. Beat until well-combined and fully incorporated.
Frosting & Finishing the Cake
- Level off each of the cake layers to remove any doming from the cakes.
- Place one cake layer onto your serving plate or onto a cardboard cake circle. Spread a 1” thick layer of buttercream on top of the cake.
- Add the second layer on top, then repeat step 2.
- Add the final layer onto the cake, then frost the outside and top with buttercream for the crumb coat. Place the cake into the fridge for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the cake from the fridge and apply the final layer of buttercream to the sides and top of the cake. Smooth until very smooth and even.
- Decorate the cake as you desire.