1 1/4 cups (300 mL) gluten-free flour blend
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Pinch each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) buttermilk
2/3 cup (150 mL) melted butter, divided
1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® APRICOT, PEACH AND PASSION FRUIT, divided
12 thin pineapple rings
1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared coconut whipped cream
1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted coconut flakes
- Whisk together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. In separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter; stir into flour mixture until just combined (batter will be lumpy). Let stand for 5 minutes. Drizzle 1/3 cup (75 mL) fruit spread over batter; fold in gently a few times to swirl.
- Pat pineapple rings dry using paper towel. Stir 1/3 cup (75 mL) melted butter with 1/3 cup (75 mL) fruit spread until combined; brush over both sides of pineapple rings. Preheat large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. In batches, cook pineapple slices for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown; set aside.
- Rinse and dry skillet; heat over medium heat. Brush with some of the remaining melted butter. In batches, using 1/4 cup (60 mL) batter for each pancake, cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles form on top. Gently press pineapple ring into top of each pancake. Flip over and gently press down on each pancake with spatula; cook for about 1 minute or until cooked through, brushing with remaining melted butter as needed.
- Serve pancakes, pineapple ring side up, topped with coconut whipped cream, coconut flakes and dollop of remaining fruit spread in centre of pineapple ring.
- Add a splash of rum to fruit spread mixture if desired.
- Top pancakes with a cherry if desired.
- For best results, use peeled and cored fresh pineapple.