Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Creamy caramel compliments these apply cupcakes for one of the best flavour combinations. Try these caramel apple cupcakes for your next party or just for fun!
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 40 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
Servings 24 Cupcakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1½ cups (375 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared caramel sauce
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cold
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) prepared caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line 24 muffin cups with large paper liners. Remove apple pieces from pie filling and chop; stir back into filling.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In separate bowl, beat butter with sugar using electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low, alternately add the dry mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with dry mixture. Scrape down bowl as necessary between additions. Fold in 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the pie filling.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting: Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, caramel sauce, butter and salt just until combined; do not overbeat. Add icing sugar in two additions, beating until smooth; do not over mix.
- Top each cupcake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, remaining apple pie filling and drizzle of caramel sauce.
1. Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® fruit pie fillings. 2. Replace caramel sauce with dulce de leche in frosting if desired.
Type Cakes & Cupcakes - Pastries
Season/Occasion Birthdays - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween