Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Creamy caramel compliments these apply cupcakes for one of the best flavour combinations. Try these caramel apple cupcakes for your next party or just for fun!
- 1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1½ cups (375 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared caramel sauce
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cold
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) prepared caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line 24 muffin cups with large paper liners. Remove apple pieces from pie filling and chop; stir back into filling.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In separate bowl, beat butter with sugar using electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low, alternately add the dry mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with dry mixture. Scrape down bowl as necessary between additions. Fold in 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the pie filling.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting: Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, caramel sauce, butter and salt just until combined; do not overbeat. Add icing sugar in two additions, beating until smooth; do not over mix.
- Top each cupcake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, remaining apple pie filling and drizzle of caramel sauce.
1. Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® fruit pie fillings. 2. Replace caramel sauce with dulce de leche in frosting if desired.