Cherry Cranberry Shortcake Squares
Buttery, flaky and delicious Cherry Cranberry Shortcake Squares are a great way to indulge anytime! Layer Cherry Cranberry pie filling over a shortbread base and top with a cinnamon flavoured crumble. This treat also makes a great gift for the holidays!
- 2 cups 500 mL All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup 75 mL Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp 15 mL Baking Powder
- 1 tsp 5 mL Salt
- 1/2 cup 125 mL Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup 125 mL Whipping Cream 35%
- 1 can 540 mL E.D.SMITH® Cherry Cranberry Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup 125 mL All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup 125 mL Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp 5 mL Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp 60 mL Unsalted Butter, cold cut into bits
- 1/2 cup 125 mL Slivered Almonds (less if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl and stir well. Add butter and rub into dry ingredients with fingertips until it resembles small peas.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg and whipping cream together. Stir into flour mixture until it becomes soft dough.
- Press dough into an ungreased 9×13″ pan. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and spread 1 can of pie filling over shortcake base.
- To make crumb topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Add butter and rub into the dry ingredients by rolling them between your thumb and fingers until the butter is thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the nuts and mix gently. Sprinkle crumb topping over filling and base and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. To serve, cut into squares.
Shortcake can be made ahead and frozen for up to two weeks.