Curried Harvest Pumpkin Soup
Rich flavours make this soup a crowd pleasure during pumpkin season or any time of year.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 6 cups (1.5 L) no salt added chicken broth
- 1 can (796 mL) E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk, light cream or evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook the onion, apple and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the curry powder and cinnamon. Add the broth and pumpkin; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Purée with an immersion blender (or in a batches in a blender) until smooth. Add milk and heat gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For entertaining, garnish soup with a drizzle of yogurt and a sprig of fresh cilantro or parsley.
To make the soup dairy free, use oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of milk or light cream.
To make the soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.