Lemon Meringue Tarts
Creamy lemon filling in a crisp buttery crust makes these lemon tarts irresistible. Adding the meringue on top – perfection!
- 2-1/2 Cups (625 mL) flour
- ¼ Cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1mL) salt
- 1 Cup (250 mL) cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large egg yolks lightly beaten
- 4 Tablespoons (60 mL) cold heavy cream
- 1 can (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Lemon Pie Filling
- 2 egg whites room temperature
- 5 Tablespoons (74mL) icing sugar
For the Tarts/Crust:
- In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, pulse dry ingredients 2-3 times to blend.
- Add butter and pulse 3-4 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks and cream and pulse until dough begins to come together.
- Divide dough in half and press into two discs. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
- Remove both 9-inch discs from plastic and let rest 20 minutes then roll out both discs on a floured surface to ¼-inch (1.5mm) thickness, then Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
- Fit one portion of crust into each 4-inch (10cm) tart pan (recommend French tart rings), pressing up the sides to fit. Trim off excess dough.
- Place prepared tart pans on a parchment lined baking sheet for easy transfer.
- Prick the bottom of each tart crust with a fork and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Remove baking sheet with chilled tart crusts from the fridge. Place baking sheet in oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from baking sheet from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before turning tart crusts out onto a cooling rack.
- When cooled completely, fill each tart shell with ¼ cup (60ml) Lemon Pie Filling and top with fresh fruit, whipped cream or meringue topping.
For the Meringue Topping:
- Using a hand mixer on high, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add icing sugar, one tablespoon (15ml) at time and continue to beat until stiff and glossy.
- Divide meringue evenly over 12 tarts placed on a baking sheet.
- Top broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- If you don´t have a food processor, just use a fork to cut in the butter.
- We recommend trying this recipe with French tart rings, available at most baking supply stores.
- Try using a piping bag when adding the meringue.