Loaded Berry Waffles
Fun and flavorful, these buttermilk waffles can be loaded with your favourite ED SMITH® berry pie filling!
- 2 ¼ (560 mL) cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (5 mL) tsp Baking Powder
- 1 (5 mL) tsp Baking Soda
- ½ (2 mL) tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ (375 mL) cup 1% Buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 (10 mL) tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ (75 mL) cup Butter, melted
- 1 (540 mL) can E.D. SMITH® pie filling (strawberry, raspberry or blueberry), divided
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Whisk in butter. Let batter rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ladle 1 cup (250 mL) batter into waffle iron to cover about two-thirds of grid surface. Drizzle 2 tbsp (30 mL) pie filling onto batter; using tooth pick, swirl mixture to create marbling.
- Close the lid. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until steamstops emerging from waffle iron and waffle is golden brown and crisp. Alternatively, cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Repeat with remaining waffle batter and more pie filling.
- Serve waffles topped with remaining pie filling.
- Serve waffles topped with whipped cream! In medium bowl, using handheld electric mixer, whip 1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy or whipping (35%) cream, 2 tbsp (30 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar and 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract until stiff peaks start to form. Alternatively, serve with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Flavour waffles by adding 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated citrus zest with the eggs if desired.
- To prevent waffles from getting soggy, as they are cooked, transfer waffles to wire rack over a baking sheet in preheated 200°F (100°C) oven.
- Garnish with toasted sweetened shredded coconut, chopped nuts or granola for a crunchy twist.