2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
2 onions, sliced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
¾ tsp (4 mL) freshly ground pepper
2 tsp (10 mL) grainy mustard
2 tbsp (30 mL) cornmeal
1 lb (500 g) pizza dough
1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® TRIPLE FRUITS RASPBERRY STRAWBERRY & BLACKBERRY
1 cup (250 mL) grated Asiago cheese
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
1 cup (250 mL) arugula
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, salt and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the pepper, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in mustard. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease two baking sheets; dust each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out each portion on lightly floured surface into 10- x 6-inch (25 x 15 cm) rectangle, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Transfer each to prepared baking sheet.
- Spread each pizza dough with half of the fruit spread, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border all around. Scatter caramelized onions, cheese, thyme and remaining pepper evenly over top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; garnish with arugula and walnuts. Cut each flatbread into 6 pieces.
Calories 190, Fat 7g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 600mg, Carbohydrate 26g, Fibre 1g, Sugars 5g, Protein 5g
- Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® TRIPLE FRUITS in the flatbread.
- For an even speedier appetizer, use premade flatbread instead of rolling out refrigerated pizza dough.
- Add 2 or 3 torn slices of prosciutto or crumbled cooked bacon to each flatbread if desired.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt if desired.
- If you like, replace walnuts with toasted pine nuts.