1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter, cubed, divided
1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling, finely chopped, divided
3/4 cup (150 mL) buttermilk
1 tsp (5 mL) course sea salt
1 lb (500 g) maple breakfast sausages, casing removed
8 slices Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Cut in 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir together half of the apple pie filling and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface; knead 2 or 3 times. Press into 1-inch thickness and cut out 8 rounds using 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) cutter. Transfer to prepared pan; sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, form sausages into 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) patties. In nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat, cook patties, turning once, for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Heat half of the remaining butter in large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Crack in 4 eggs; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until egg whites are set, and yolks are still runny or cooked as desired. Repeat with remaining eggs and butter.
- Split biscuits. In small saucepan, warm remaining apple pie filling and spread over biscuits; top with sausage patties and slice of cheese. Top with fried eggs. Serve warm.
Per 1 sandwich: Calories 520, Fat 31g, Saturated Fat 16g, Cholesterol 255mg, Sodium 1420mg, Carbohydrate 39g, Fibre 3g, Sugars 9g, Protein 20g
- Use your favourite sausages instead of maple breakfast sausages. Turkey sausages are a great option.