- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) milk, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cans (810 mL) E.D. SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans (or grease and line with parchment paper); set aside.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in granulated sugar; set aside. In separate bowl, whisk together milk and lemon juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs, oil and vanilla until blended.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until blended. Scrape into prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of each cake. Transfer to racks; let stand for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes directly onto racks; let cool completely.
- Using electric beaters, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in icing sugar until blended.
- Place one cake on serving platter. Top with one-third of the whipped cream, leaving sides of cake naked. Spoon one-third of the cherry filling over top. Repeat layers twice. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Garnish with dark chocolate shavings if desired.