Amazing Apple Sticky Buns
Oozing apples and spice, these fluffy and of course sticky apple buns will delight all ages and any time of day.
- 1 bag (680 g) store bought pizza dough
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) cinnamon, divided
- 1 can (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 1 9 inch (23 cm) spring form pan
- Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon, stirring well to combine. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of apple sauce from the Pie Filling and pour butter mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of walnuts.
- Generously flour work surface and gently remove pizza dough from bag onto the floured surface. It will be a bit sticky. With floured hands gently press dough into a rectangle about 11 x 17 inch (28 x 43 cm). Try to keep the thickness as even as possible by stretching and pulling gently, adding more flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Sprinkle the surface with remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon and walnuts. Evenly distribute the Apple Pie Filling over the dough leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) border around the edge of the rectangle. With a wide edge in front of you, gently roll up dough into a long sausage and with the seam side down, slice into 8 even pieces.
- Gently place the first slice in the centre of the pan and arrange the remaining 7 evenly around it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm draft free place for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and place pan on a cookie sheet to catch any possible drips and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until centre is baked. Let stand 1 minute before inverting onto platter. Spoon over any delicious syrup and nuts that may have clung to the bottom. This can be made in a 10 inch (25 cm) regular cake pan cutting the rolled dough into 10 pieces.
A perfect after school snack you can make with your kids.
Store bought dough makes this recipe super easy!