Amazing Apple Sticky Buns
Oozing apples and spice, these fluffy and of course sticky apple buns will delight all ages and any time of day.
Prep Time 25 mins
Cook Time 1 hr
Resting Time 1 hr 30 mins
Total Time 2 hrs 55 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 1 bag (680 g) store bought pizza dough
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) cinnamon, divided
- 1 can (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 1 9 inch (23 cm) spring form pan
- Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon, stirring well to combine. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of apple sauce from the Pie Filling and pour butter mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of walnuts.
- Generously flour work surface and gently remove pizza dough from bag onto the floured surface. It will be a bit sticky. With floured hands gently press dough into a rectangle about 11 x 17 inch (28 x 43 cm). Try to keep the thickness as even as possible by stretching and pulling gently, adding more flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Sprinkle the surface with remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon and walnuts. Evenly distribute the Apple Pie Filling over the dough leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) border around the edge of the rectangle. With a wide edge in front of you, gently roll up dough into a long sausage and with the seam side down, slice into 8 even pieces.
- Gently place the first slice in the centre of the pan and arrange the remaining 7 evenly around it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm draft free place for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and place pan on a cookie sheet to catch any possible drips and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until centre is baked. Let stand 1 minute before inverting onto platter. Spoon over any delicious syrup and nuts that may have clung to the bottom. This can be made in a 10 inch (25 cm) regular cake pan cutting the rolled dough into 10 pieces.
A perfect after school snack you can make with your kids.
Store bought dough makes this recipe super easy!
Type Breads, Scones & Rolls - Pastries
Season/Occasion Holiday, Christmas & New Years - Spring & Easter - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween