Apple Cinnamon Bun Pie
Surprise your guests with this unique and delicious apple cinnamon bun pie by The Olive & Mango. A beautiful and indulgent version of a traditional favourite recipe.
- 2 storebought or homemade 9 inch pie crusts*
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cans E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 1 egg whisked for egg wash
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piecrust into 12 inch circle, and place in an greased 9 inch glass/ceramic pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom of pie plate folding extra crust underneath and pressing on top of rim of pie plate. Crimp edges or leave flat. Use a fork to pierce the crust gently all over the bottom and up the sides of the pie and then refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar. On lightly floured surface roll the other piecrust into an oblong shape or as close to a rectangle as possible. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar and the cinnamon mixture to within quarter inch of the edges. Starting at the longest edge tightly roll into a log, pressing seam together and pinching ends to seal. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F; please large cookie sheet on bottom rack of the oven to catch any drippings.
- Remove pie and pie plate from the fridge and fill with the apple pie filling and set aside for a minute while you cut the dough log. Remove dough log from fridge and trim ends of it and then cut it into approximately 40 slices. Arrange slices over apple mixture, brush the pie crust edges and the slices with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. (*If you need extra cinnamon rolls refrigerate pie while you make more)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown. If the edges or the top of the pie begin to brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil
- Remove from oven once done and cool completely before serving
- Depending on the size of your dough log and size of your pie plate you may need to use an extra pie dough and extra cinnamon and sugar to make a third log roll.