Apple Crumble Pie
Combine the tradition of apple pie with the flavour and texture of crumble. Serve this delicious apple crumble pie at your next dinner.
Prep Time 35 mins
Cook Time 1 hr
Total Time 1 hr 35 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 mL) cold water
- 1 can (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- Crumble Topping: Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in the butter with 2 knives or pastry blender until crumbly; refrigerate.
- Pie: Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine meal. Whisk the egg yolk with the vanilla and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water; add to the food processor. Pulse until the dough forms a ball, adding additional water if needed.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Form into a disk and wrap tightly; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Lightly flour work surface and roll out pastry large enough to line the bottom of a 9-inch (23 cm) deep-dish pie plate. Scrape Apple Pie Filling into the pie plate. Sprinkle with Crumble Topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375ºF (190ºC). Bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or room temperature.
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® Fruit Pie Fillings.
Type Pies & Tarts
Season/Occasion Holiday, Christmas & New Years - Spring & Easter - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween