Black Forest Cake
The perfect black forest cake; layers of chocolate cake, whipped cream and of course cherries. So many cherries it takes two cans of cherry pie filling to make this amazing dessert.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Resting Time 1 hr 15 mins
Total Time 40 mins
Difficulty Level Easy
- 2¼ cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1½ cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) milk, at room temperature
- 3 ) tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1½ can (810 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans (or grease and line with parchment paper); set aside.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in granulated sugar; set aside. In separate bowl, whisk together milk and lemon juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs, oil and vanilla until blended.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until blended. Scrape into prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of each cake. Transfer to racks; let stand for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes directly onto racks; let cool completely.
- Using electric beaters, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in icing sugar until blended.
- Place one cake on serving platter. Top with one-third of the whipped cream, leaving sides of cake naked. Spoon one-third of the cherry filling over top. Repeat layers twice. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Garnish with dark chocolate shavings if desired.
Type Cakes & Cupcakes - Pastries
Season/Occasion Birthdays - Holiday, Christmas & New Years - Kid Friendly - Valentine's Day