Blueberry Lemon Slab Pie
With a lattice top and hits of lemon and cinnamon, this impressive blueberry pie is perfect for serving a hungry crowd.
- 5 cups (1.25 L) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 4 egg yolks divided
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) E.D. SMITH® Blueberry Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In medium bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks and 1/3 cup (75 mL) ice water. Stir into flour mixture until dough comes together. If needed, stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) more ice water.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a ball and then flatten into rectangle. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In large bowl, stir together E.D. SMITH® Blueberry Pie Filling, lemon zest and cinnamon until blended.
- In small bowl, stir together lemon juice and cornstarch until smooth and blended. Stir into blueberry filling mixture until well combined.
- In another small bowl, whisk together remaining egg yolk with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water.
- Arrange 1 dough portion between 2 large sheets of parchment paper dusted lightly with flour. Roll dough into a 17 x 12-inch (43 x 30 cm) rectangle. Peel off top parchment paper. Invert dough onto 15 x 10 x 1/2-inch (38 x 25 x 1 cm) rimmed baking sheet. Remove remaining parchment. Press pastry into bottom and up sides of baking sheet, letting any excess dough overhang edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Roll out remaining dough portion between 2 large sheets of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour until it measures 17 x 12 inches (43 x 30 cm). Peel off top parchment paper. To make lattice top, using pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch (1 cm) strips. Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes or until chilled. (Chilling dough will make it easier to work with when weaving lattice top.)
- Spoon pie filling mixture into prepared bottom crust; smooth top. Working quickly, place half the strips evenly across the filling. Weave the remaining strips diagonally with the first set of strips to form a lattice pattern.
- Trim edges of strips to align with bottom crust. Pinch edges of crust together to seal, tucking under pastry crust if needed. Flute or crimp edges as desired. Brush pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in bottom rack for 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let cool completely on wire rack. Slice into 8 or 10 portions to serve.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar over pie before baking if desired.
- Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream if desired. Garnish with freshly grated lemon zest.