Appetizer & SnackDifficultyEasyHoliday, Christmas & New YearsLunch & DInnerProductSandwiches, Pizza & Savoury SnacksSpring & EasterSummer FunThanksgiving, Autumn & HalloweenTRIPLE FRUITS® Raspberry Strawberry & Blackberry Spread
Caramelized Onion Flatbread With Raspberry Fruit Spread And Asiago Cheese
Perfect for serving as an appetizer or meal, the caramelized onion flatbread has layers of raspberry, asiago cheese and of course caramelized onions.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornmeal
- 1 lb (500 g) pizza dough
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Raspberry Strawberry & Blackberry Fruit Spread
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, salt and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the pepper, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in mustard. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease two baking sheets; dust each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out each portion on lightly floured surface into 10- x 6-inch (25 x 15 cm) rectangle, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Transfer each to prepared baking sheet.
- Spread each pizza dough with half of the fruit spread, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border all around. Scatter caramelized onions, cheese, thyme and remaining pepper evenly over top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; garnish with arugula and walnuts. Cut each flatbread into 6 pieces.
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Fruit Spreads in the flatbread.
For an even speedier appetizer, use premade flatbread instead of rolling out refrigerated pizza dough.
Add 2 or 3 torn slices of prosciutto or crumbled cooked bacon to each flatbread if desired.
Sprinkle with flaked sea salt if desired.
If you like, replace walnuts with toasted pine nuts.