Cherries Jubilee Meringue Tarts
This take on Cherries Jubilee is served in meringue nests for an easy and elegant presentation.
Prep Time 25 mins
Cook Time 1 hr 35 mins
Resting Time 1 hr
Total Time 3 hrs
Difficulty Level Easy
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) bourbon
- 8 lemon twists
- 8 mint sprigs
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Using electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue in mounds onto parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-inch (8 cm) bowls using back of spoon. (Alternatively, use a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.)
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm and dry. Switch off oven and leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, whip cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat butter in large skillet set over medium heat; add Cherry Pie Filling and bring to boil. Remove skillet from heat; stir in bourbon. Return skillet to stovetop; cook until warmed through. To flambé, ignite with long match or barbecue lighter (have lid on hand to extinguish flame if it gets out of hand). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with cherry mixture. Top with dollop of whipped cream, lemon twist and mint sprigs.
Garnish with a sprinkle of toasted sliced almonds.
Substitute crème fraîche or mascarpone cheese for whipped cream if desired.
Substitute whiskey or brandy for bourbon if desired.
Cherries Jubilee is just as delicious spooned over pound cake, sponge cake or ice cream.
Meringue nests will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Buy store-bought meringue nests if you´re short on time.
Type Ice cream, Mousse & Parfaits - Pies & Tarts
Season/Occasion Holiday, Christmas & New Years - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween - Valentine's Day