Gluten-Free Vegan Cherry Pie
This gluten-free vegan pie with a creamy coconut whipped cream will please everyone.
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tbsp xantham gum, if flour blend does not already have it
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shortening, 1/2-inch dice, frozen
- 1 cup vegan coconut yogurt
- 2 cans 540 mL each E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 can 400 mL full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xantham gum (if using), baking powder and kosher salt.
- Add frozen diced shortening to flour mixture, gently toss with hands to coat. Mix in coconut yogurt, continue mixing until dough forms. If mixture is too dry add in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Divide pie dough into two equal halves, form into discs and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove one portion of pie dough from refrigerator and place onto lightly floured parchment paper. Sprinkle flour on top and roll out into a 12-inch round, ensuring it is about 3/8-inch thick. Gently transfer to a greased 9-inch pie plate and trim excess off the edges. Flute edges if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove prepared pie plate from refrigerator. With a fork, pierce the bottom of the pie crust all over. Place a sheet of parchment paper of the top of the raw crust, place pie weights or dried beans on top, ensuring to cover the entire bottom. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges begin to slightly brown.
- Remove pie crust from oven and cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cherry pie filling, coconut milk, cornstarch and salt until well blended. Pour into cooled pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 375°F. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on rack.
- Meanwhile, chill medium mixing bowl in freezer for 15 minutes. Add maple syrup to chilled bowl. Open can of coconut milk and scrape off solidified top layer (reserve liquid for another use); add to bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until creamy and smooth. Dollop over pie.
To make a lattice crust on top, roll out remaining pie dough into 12-inch round; cut into 6 strips. Lay 3 strips vertically on top of the pie, folding every other strip back halfway. Take one of the 3 remaining strips and lay it horizontally across the top; unfold the 2 folded vertical strips so they lay over top of the horizontal strip. Fold back vertical strip that was originally unfolded. Lay another strip horizontally across the top; unfold the folded vertical strip to lay over top of the horizontal strip. Repeat on other side of centre strip with remaining pastry strip to form lattice. Cut away extra pastry from edges. Crimp edges; brush top with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup mixed with 1 tablespoon of water and sprinkle with sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.