Great Canadiana Loaf Cake
This patriotic dessert couldn’t be any more Canadian, inspired by the maple leaf in both appearance and flavour.
- 2 pkg (461 g) each white cake mix
- 1 cup (250 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling, puréed
- 4-5 drops red food colouring
- 1½ cups (375 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) maple extract
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare 1 pkg cake mix according to package directions; transfer batter to pastry bag without tip. Set aside. Prepare remaining pkg of cake mix with puréed pie filling, adding in food colouring. Spread evenly in prepared pan; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Unmould cake from pan; using maple leaf cookie cutter, cut out 12 to 15 shapes. Grease and line 6-cup (1.5 L) loaf pan with parchment paper. Arrange cake cutouts, standing up, down along centre of pan. Pipe reserved cake batter in and around cutouts to fill pan. Bake according to package directions or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely and unmould from pan.
- Whisk together icing sugar, maple syrup and extract; drizzle over cake and top with sprinkles. Slice to reveal hidden red maple leaves inside.
- Per 1/10 recipe: Calories 630, Fat 25g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 590mg, Carbohydrate 96g, Fibre 1g, Sugars 73g, Protein 7g
For individual desserts, serve slices of pound cake with a dollop of whipped cream and additional warmed cherry pie filling on the side.
Sprinkle chopped pecans on top for added texture if desired.