Cherry Pie FillingDesserts & Sweet TreatsDifficultyIntermediateKid FriendlyPies & TartsProductSpring & EasterValentine's Day
Pie Heart Pops With Cream Cheese Icing
Antioxidant-rich turmeric gives this velvety and rich dairy-free soup a beautiful orange colour.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 1 hr
Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 2¼ cups (550 mL) whole wheat flour (approx.)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ice-cold water (approx.)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- Heart-shaped candies or heart candy sprinkles
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- In large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt; cut in butter with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger pieces. Stir in water by tablespoonfuls until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 2 balls; flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll out each disk to about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) heart-shaped cutter, cut out 10 hearts. Reroll scraps; cut out 10 more hearts.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside.
- Brush edges of each heart with egg wash. Place lollipop stick on top of 10 hearts, so top of stick comes to centre of heart; gently press stick into pastry. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) pie filling to centre of each heart. Cap with remaining hearts. Seal edges with fork. Brush pastry with egg wash; prick with fork to make vents.
- Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool completely in pan on rack.
- Cream Cheese Icing: Beat together cream cheese and butter until blended; beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over pops. Sprinkle with heart candies or candy sprinkles.
1. Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® Pie fillings for pie pops. 2. Tie ribbon on lollipop sticks for a decorative touch.
Type Pies & Tarts
Season/Occasion Kid Friendly - Spring & Easter - Valentine's Day