Seasonal flavours come together for this delectable dish. Enjoy this harvest season.
- 4½ cups (1.125 L) no salt added chicken broth
- 1¼ cup (300 mL) E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped pancetta
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups (375 mL) Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Add broth, pumpkin and bay leaves to a saucepan set over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and keep hot.
- Melt half the butter in a Dutch oven or high-sided skillet set over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and onion; cook stirring, for 10 to 12 minutes or until pancetta is golden brown and crisp and onions are lightly golden brown and caramelized.
- Stir in garlic, sage, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice until well coated. Add wine; simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) pumpkin mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until absorbed. Continue to add broth, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time and stirring, until all the broth is absorbed and rice is tender with a slightly toothsome center, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, remaining butter and nutmeg until well combined. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately with additional cheese.
Pancetta is Italian cured bacon that's not smoked, substitute regular bacon, if desired.
Transfer leftover pumpkin puree to an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.