Sweet And Spicy Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread muffins have a sweet and savoury flavour and studded with zesty Cheddar cheese and fresh corn kernels.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 v cup (125 mL) melted butter
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh corn kernels, or frozen or canned, drained
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Apricot Peach Passion Fruit Spread
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, paprika, baking soda and cayenne.
- Whisk together milk, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir wet mixture into dry mixture just until blended. Stir in green onions, corn and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese.
- Divide half of batter evenly into muffin cups. Top each with 1 tsp (5 mL) Fruit Spread. Top evenly with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean.
Add 1 chopped seeded jalapeno pepper for extra heat if desired.
Replace cheese with Swiss, Gouda or Monterey Jack cheese.
Muffins can be kept, frozen, covered in plastic for up to 3 weeks.