Traditional Pumpkin Pies
Delicious, creamy and smooth pumpkin pies (yes, this recipe is for 2 pies!) made with one whole can of 796ml E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin make this traditional recipe a family favourite. Feel free to modify the pumpkin pie spice amount to your liking. That's the benefit of making pies with E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin, you can modify your own pumpkin spice level.Enjoy this delicious dessert twice or share with family and friends!
Pastry (for 2 single crust 9” (23 cm) pies):
- 2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) cold, unsalted butter, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water
Pie Filling (for 2 pies):
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 can (796ml) E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 2½ tsp (12ml) Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
- 1½ cup (375 mL) heavy cream or evaporated milk
- In the bowl of a food processor or by hand in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Add cubed, cold butter and pulse several times or cut in with a fork or pastry mixer until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in ice water a bit at a time and mix until a ball can be formed or dough begins to hold together.
- Turn out to a lightly floured surface and gather together into a ball. Cut into 2 even pieces, press into discs, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove both discs from the fridge and let them sit for 20 minutes. Remove plastic and roll both discs out onto the surface. Transfer both to their own 9" pie dish and flute edges.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl and beat lightly. Add brown sugar, whole can of Pure Pumpkin (796ml), pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir ingredients together until well combined. Blend in heavy cream or evaporated milk. Pour filling evenly into each prepared pie shell.
- Bake both pies together at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking 35-45 minutes longer or until knife inserted 1-inch from the crust edge comes out clean and filling is almost set in the centre. Cool on hour and serve.
Simplify this recipe by using pre-made bought pie crust. Don't worry, we won't tell! For sweeter pies, add additional brown sugar, up to an additional 1/2 cup. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand, here is our recipe that can be used for 2 pies: 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger, 1-1/2 tsp (7ml) ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp (2ml) ground cloves, 1/2 tsp (2ml) ground nutmeg.