Turmeric Quinoa Bowl
Pack this healthy vegetarian power bowl for lunch and you’ll be feeling relaxed for the rest of the workday!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup E.D.SMITH® No Sugar Added Raspberry
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice, divided
- 4 cups (1 L) packed shredded kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted almonds
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- In large saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) water, coconut oil, ginger, turmeric, and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt to boil. Stir in quinoa. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and absorbs liquid. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Raspberry Jam and 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice; fluff with fork. Let cool completely.
- Toss kale with 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil and pinch of salt until well coated. Toss avocado with remaining lemon juice. Whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, remaining salt, and pepper.
- Layer quinoa mixture, avocado, kale, chickpeas and dressing in 4 to-go containers. Sprinkle with almonds and green onions. Seal and refrigerate.
Substitute lentils for chickpeas if desired.
Add your favourite seeds, such as chia or sesame seeds, if desired.
Refrigerate quinoa bowls in airtight container for up to 3 days. Add avocado just before serving.