1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
2 tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
Apple Pie Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® APPLE PIE FILLING
1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- Sift flour with salt; set aside. In saucepan, bring 3/4 cup (175 mL) water and butter to boil over medium-high heat; remove saucepan from heat. Using wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture. Return to stovetop; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture forms ball and coats the pan with a thin film.
- Using electric mixer, beat the batter until cool. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue beating until dough is shiny and smooth. In separate small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Spoon batter into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pour enough oil into straight-sided skillet to come 2 inches (5 cm) up side; heat until oil registers 375°F (190°C) on deep-fry thermometer. Pipe 3-inch (8 cm) lengths of dough into hot oil; cook in batches, turning frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Arrange churros on platter; dust with cinnamon sugar. Serve with Apple Pie Dipping Sauce.
- Apple Pie Dipping Sauce: Purée apple pie filling, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to saucepan over medium heat; bring to simmer.
- Use any of your favourite D.SMITH® fruit pie fillings.