Black Currant Jam Crostata
A fresh take on simple pastry, the black current jam crostata is light, fruity and delicious.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ice-cold water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® Black Currant Jam
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh blackberries
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tsp (10 mL) turbinado sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) natural sliced almonds
- Place flour and salt in food processor; pulse until well combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With motor running, slowly pour in water until dough forms ball; shape into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place rack on lowest position in oven. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine jam, blackberries and lemon zest; stir in cornstarch. In separate bowl, whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside.
- Lightly flour work surface. Roll out pastry to 14-inch (36 cm) round, dusting work surface with more flour as necessary. Transfer to prepared pan; prick all over with fork.
- Spread jam mixture onto pastry, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) border. Fold over the pastry border to form crust. Brush crust with egg wash; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Transfer to wire rack; let cool completely. Garnish with almonds.
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® Jams if desired.
Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream for a delicate garnish.