1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2/3 cup (150 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup (60 mL) ice-cold water
1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® PURE BLACK CURRANT JAM
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh blackberries
1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp (10 mL) turbinado sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) natural sliced almonds
- Place flour and salt in food processor; pulse until well combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With motor running, slowly pour in water until dough forms ball; shape into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place rack on lowest position in oven. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine jam, blackberries and lemon zest; stir in cornstarch. In separate bowl, whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside.
- Lightly flour work surface. Roll out pastry to 14-inch (36 cm) round, dusting work surface with more flour as necessary. Transfer to prepared pan; prick all over with fork.
- Spread jam mixture onto pastry, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) border. Fold over the pastry border to form crust. Brush crust with egg wash; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Transfer to wire rack; let cool completely. Garnish with almonds.
- Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® PURE Jams if desired.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream for a delicate garnish.