Apple Pie Churros
Delicious, homemade churros recipe made even better with many pie filling dip options. Try cutting up the fruit in the pie filling for an easier to dip option.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 30 mins
Difficulty Level Easy
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- Vegetable oil
Apple Pie Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- Pinch allspice
- Pinch nutmeg
- Sift flour with salt; set aside. In saucepan, bring 3/4 cup (175 mL) water and butter to boil over medium-high heat; remove saucepan from heat. Using wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture. Return to stovetop; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture forms ball and coats the pan with a thin film.
- Using electric mixer, beat the batter until cool. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue beating until dough is shiny and smooth. In separate small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Spoon batter into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pour enough oil into straight-sided skillet to come 2 inches (5 cm) up side; heat until oil registers 375°F (190°C) on deep-fry thermometer. Pipe 3-inch (8 cm) lengths of dough into hot oil; cook in batches, turning frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Arrange churros on platter; dust with cinnamon sugar. Serve with Apple Pie Dipping Sauce.
- Apple Pie Dipping Sauce: Purée apple pie filling, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to saucepan over medium heat; bring to simmer.
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® fruit pie fillings.
Type Donuts - Pastries
Season/Occasion Kid Friendly - Summer Fun - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween