- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin, smoked paprika, and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) E.D.SMITH® PURE PUMPKIN
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (540 mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper, carrot, celery, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are soften.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, pumpkin puree, broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil. Stir in chickpeas and black beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until chili is thick and flavourful.
- Garnish with green onions.
- To spice up the chili, add one more jalapeno or 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes.
- Substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth, if desired.
- Transfer leftover pumpkin puree to an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.