Berry empanadas are a delicious way to add some fun to snacking time. Try using store bough dough for an easy version of this treat.
- 1¾ cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice-cold water (approx.)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) E.D.SMITH® Spa Fruits Strawberry Fruit Spread
- All-purpose flour
- Icing sugar optional
- E.D.SMITH® Spa Fruits Strawberry Fruit Spread warmed for dipping
- Stir together flour, sugar and salt in large bowl; cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger pieces. Whisk egg yolk with water; stir into flour mixture until dough comes together, adding up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more water if necessary.
- Form dough into ball and flatten into large disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside. Dust work surface with flour.
- Roll out dough to about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cutter, cut out 8 rounds. Reroll scraps; cut out 8 more rounds.
- Brush edges of each round with egg wash. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) jam to centre of each round. Fold to enclose filling and seal edges with fork. Brush pastry with egg wash; prick with fork to make vents. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Dust with icing sugar (if using). Serve with additional warmed jam for dipping.
Cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® jams for the empanadas.