Apple Pie FillingBreads, Scones & RollsBreakfast & BrunchE.D.SMITH® Pie FillingsIntermediatePastriesThanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween
Brown Butter Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Stuffed with apple pie filling and a drizzle of cream cheese frosting, these sweet cinnamon rolls by the Foodduchess – Amie Macgregor pair perfectly with a hot cup of coffee.
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Resting Time 2 hrs
Total Time 2 hrs 55 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 1 cup (228g) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp (70g) Water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp (70g) Milk
- 3 tbsp (25g) All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups + 2 tbsp (495g) All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp (38g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Instant Yeast
- 3/4 cup (180g) Whole Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Brown Butter, lightly warm and melted
- 1/2 cup (110g) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Allspice
- 3/4 cup (200g) E.D.Smith Apple Pie Filling, chopped into smaller chunks
- 1 ½ tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 Brown Butter, room temperature and spreadable
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (120g) Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (114g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (120g) Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60g) Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- In a small sauce over medium heat, add butter and bring to a boil. Continue heating over medium heat, constantly stirring until the butter has turned a nutty brown color. It may be hard to see the color if your butter is foaming a lot, so periodically take it off the heat to check the color.
- Remove from heat, place into a heat proof glass and then into the fridge to cool off for 30 minutes, or until just barely warm. Divide in half. Half will go into the dough, and reserve the other half to firm up to room temperature for the filling.
- Add the flour, water and milk to a small sauce pan. Whisk until smooth, then turn heat to medium. Continue whisking while it heats.
- Once the tangzhong has thickened (should be thick enough that whisking leaves streaks), remove it from the heat to cool until just warm.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, milk, eggs, melted brown butter and tangzhong to a stand mixer. Knead with hook attachment for 15-20 minutes. The dough should be smooth but will also be very soft and slightly sticky.
- Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic, and place into a warm place to rise for an hour or until double in size.
- After the dough is doubled, punch it down, then roll the dough out to be about 12×16”, with the long side facing you.
Filling, Rolling & Cutting
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together the chopped apple pie filling and cornstarch until well combined.
- Spread the room temperature brown butter across the dough (leave a ½” strip bare along the top). Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the evenly over the butter, then spread the apple pie filling + cornstarch evenly as possible over that.
- From the long-side (facing you), roll the dough up tightly into a log. Use string, floss or a sharp serrated knife to slice 12 rolls. Place rolls into a 9×12” pan sprayed with cooking spray and lined with parchment, then cover with plastic, and allow to rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove plastic and place the risen rolls into the oven to bake for 20-22 minutes. Frost the rolls when still warm.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add all of the cream cheese frosting ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and beat together using a hand mixer until smooth. Spread over warm rolls and enjoy.
Type Breads, Scones & Rolls – Pastries
Season/Occasion Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween