Cherry Cheese Danish
Any of our E.D.SMITH® Pie fillings will pair well baked into these easy homemade pastries. Layered with cream cheese adding a savoury touch to a classic treat.
- 1 lb (454 g) package puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- 1 8 oz (250 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds, optional
- 1 (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Pie Filling of Choice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a floured surface, cut chilled pastry in half and roll each half into a 12 inch (30 cm) square. Cut each square into 4 approximately 6 x 6 inch (15 x 15 cm). Repeat with second half of pastry, transferring the 8 squares to 2 parchment lined or nonstick baking sheets.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar and orange zest. Spoon approximately 2 tbsp (30 mL) of mixture onto the centre of each pastry, spreading gently to cover about a 3 inch (7 cm) square.
- With a spoon, make an indent in the centre of cheese mixture. This will help hold the fruit filling. Drop 2 tbsp (30 mL) Pie Filling over the cream cheese. Gently lift the pastry corners over the filling towards the centre. Repeat with all the pastry squares. Whisk together egg and water and brush over the pastries. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden. Cool.
Try with any of your favourite E.D.SMITH® pie filling flavours.
For a special treat drizzle with icing.