Cherry & Chocolate Crepes With Whipped Cream Cheese
These warm cherry pie–filled crepes can be served for a decadent brunch or dessert.
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk, at room temperature
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 8 oz (250 g) brick-style plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 3½ oz (100 g) chocolate bar or block, at room temperature
- 1 can (540 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- Crepes: In blender, mix together milk, flour, eggs, butter and salt; blend until smooth. Strain and let stand for at least 30 minutes. (Batter should be consistency of thick cream; thin with a bit of water if needed.)
- Heat 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick skillet set over medium heat; brush with some of the oil. Pour scant 1/4 cup (60 mL) mixture into pan; swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook for 60 to 90 seconds or until crepe begins to curl around edges. Flip over; cook for 30 seconds or until set. Repeat with remaining batter. Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Let cool completely.
- Assembly: Using electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. In separate bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Using vegetable peeler, shave flat thin shavings from block of chocolate onto parchment paper–lined plate.
- In saucepan set over medium heat, cook cherry pie filling for 5 to 8 minutes or until simmering.
- Fill each crepe with 1/4 cup (60 mL) cherry pie filling. Add dollop of cream cheese mixture. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve 2 crepes per serving.
- Crepes can be made ahead, then refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days before filling if desired.
- Spike cherry pie filling with a splash of orange liqueur or brandy.
- In a hurry? Substitute store-bought crepes to save time.
- Change it up with any flavour of fruit pie filling.