Chocolate Cherry Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Homemade chocolate chip cookies sandwiched around a thick layer of ice cream churned with cherry pie filling and mini chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) mini chocolate chips
Ice Cream Filling:
- 4 cups (1 L) chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH® Cherry Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Beat together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and corn syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Whisk flour with baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Drop dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, to make 16 cookies; flatten slightly into 1 1/2- inch (3 cm) rounds. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden; let cool completely on racks.
- Ice Cream Filling: Place ice cream in bowl; mash with potato masher to soften slightly. Gently fold in pie filling. Return to freezer for about 1 hour or until set.
- Working quickly, scoop about 1/3 cup (75 mL) ice cream mixture onto each of 8 cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. Roll edges in mini chocolate chips until evenly coated. Freeze on baking sheet for 2 to 3 hours or until firm. Wrap in parchment paper and store in freezer until ready to serve.
Roll ice cream sandwiches in toasted coconut or chopped pecans instead of chocolate chips if desired.