Classic Apple Pie
A classic apple pie can't be beat. E.D.SMITH® makes it easy to prepare this treat throughout the year. Add your own spice blend to E.D.SMITH® Apple pie filling, bake and enjoy!
- 2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ice water (approx.)
- 2 cans (19 oz) E.D.SMITH® Apple Pie Filling
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Stir the flour with the salt. Cut in the butter and shortening with 2 knives or pastry blender until crumbly; refrigerate. Drizzle ice water over the mixture; stir with fork until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is dry add a few more drops of ice water until it comes together. Form the dough into 2 disks and wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange the rack to the lowest position. Roll out one of the disks on a floured surface to line the bottom and sides of a deep dish, 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. With a paring knife, trim the dough to be flush with the rim. Pour in the filling. Lightly brush the rim of pie with water.
- Roll the remaining disk into a 12-inch (30 cm) round; lay over the apple filling. Press along the moistened rim to seal the two pieces of dough together. Trim the edge to 1-inch (2.5 cm) and seal by crimping edges with thumb and forefinger. Sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C). Bake for an additional 45 minutes or until golden brown and juices are bubbling. Remove from oven and cool completely.
If edges of the pastry brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.