Fruit Hand Pies
Homemade pastry wrapped around E.D.SMITH® pie filling and baked to perfection. Enjoy these delicious hand pies today!
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted cold butter (1 ½ sticks) diced or grated
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) very cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- sugar for sprinkling
- E.D.SMITH® Pie Filling of choice
- In the bowl of a food processor or by hand in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add diced butter and pulse, or using a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add shortening and continue until combined. Gradually add water just until the pastry begins to come together.
- Turn out to a lightly floured surface and gather together into a ball. Cut into 2 even pieces, wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). On a floured surface, roll pastry 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. Cut into rounds approximately 5-6 inch (13-15 cm) across. Transfer to 2 nonstick or parchment lined baking sheets. Spoon 2 tbsp (30 mL) of Pie Filling of choice on one side of each circle, leaving a border around the edge. Whisk together egg and water and brush around the bottom edge of each pastry circle. Fold over to create a half moon, pinching edges together firmly to seal. Crimp the edges if desired. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- With a sharp knife, make 3 slashes across the top of each hand pie. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes or until golden rotating cookie sheets for even baking. Let cool.