Italian Almond And Plum Cake
Bring some European flare to your next brunch with this Italian plum cake. Even better when plums are in season!
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour (approx.)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) almond flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) E.D.SMITH® Spa Fruits Strawberry Fruit Spread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 5 plums pitted and quartered
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 9-inch (2 L) springform pan; dust with flour, shaking off excess. Whisk together 1 cup (250 mL) flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk jam with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition; beat in vanilla.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 2 additions, mixing just until blended, scraping down bowl as needed (do not overmix). Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Arrange plums, cut side up on top of batter; brush with jam mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
- Run knife between cake and pan to loosen; release cake from pan. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Garnish cake with sliced, toasted almonds if desired.