Mini Fruit Pies
Tiny versions of delicious pies with big flavour. Try making an assortment of flavours to gift or share at gatherings.
Prep Time 25 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Total Time 50 mins
Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold shortening, cut into cubes
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) ice water (approx.)
Mini Fruit Pies:
- 1 can (540 mL) Your favourite E.D.SMITH® Pie Filling
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- Turbinado sugar
- Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Add the butter and shortening; pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal. With the motor running, slowly pour in water until dough forms a ball, adding additional 1 to 2 tablespoons more, if needed. Portion into 3 disks and wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange the rack to the lowest position in the oven. Cut 12 parchment paper strips about 1×7-inch (2.5 cm x 18 cm). Line each muffin cup with a strip of parchment (to easily remove pies once baked). Whisk egg with water; set aside.
- Roll out two pastry disks on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut out 12 (4-inch/10 cm) rounds, rerolling scraps, if needed. Fit rounds into each muffin cup. Fill with 1/4 cup (60 mL) pie filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry into a 9-inch square; trim the edges. Cut into 12 portions. Cut each portion into 5 thin strips.
- Brush the edge of the pastry in the muffin cups with reserved egg wash. Weave 5 strips over the pie filling to create a lattice top. Seal pastry edges together with fingertips. Brush top with egg wash. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Alternatively, top pies with pastry cut outs using 1 inch (2/5 cm) cookie cutters, such as hearts, diamonds or stars.
Make an all-butter crust by replacing the shortening with additional cold butter.
Mini Mason Jar Pies: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper. Prepare mason jar lids so that the rubber sealed disk faces down, then spray the inside with cooking spray. Roll our your dough and use a 4 inch round cookie cutter to cut out the crusts. Fill the crusts into the prepared mason jar lids and press the dough up the sides. Add 1tbsp pie filling into crust. With remaining dough, cut out strips to make the lattice on top. Add dough strips on top to make lattice. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Baked for 25-30 mins until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Transfer to wire rack to cool before eating.
Type Pies & Tarts
Season/Occasion Holiday, Christmas & New Years - Kid Friendly - Spring & Easter - Thanksgiving, Autumn & Halloween