This pumpkin pie jelly-roll cake, with simple whipped cream filling, is moist, tender and nicely spiced.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) E.D. SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) heavy or whipping (35%) cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 15 x 10-inch (38 x 25 cm) jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- Into medium bowl, sift flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, using handheld electric mixer, beat together eggs and sugar for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale yellow in colour. Fold in pumpkin purée. Sprinkle flour mixture over top and fold into batter. Spread batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, and cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, sift confectioners’ sugar onto clean cotton kitchen towel slightly larger than cake. (This will prevent cake from sticking when rolled and cooling.)
- While cake is still hot, run a thin knife around edges to loosen from sides of pan; invert onto prepared towel. From short side, roll cake up with towel to resemble a log shape. Place rolled cake, seam side down, on wire rack; let cool completely.
- Filling: In medium bowl, using handheld electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks start to form. Beat in 1/3 cup (75 mL) confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Gently unroll cooled cake. Leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border, spread cake with whipped cream mixture. Roll cake back up, tightly, without the towel. Transfer to serving platter. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, dust with remaining confectioners’ sugar.
- For a spiced pumpkin whipped cream filling, fold 2 tbsp (30 mL) E.D. SMITH® Pure Pumpkin and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pumpkin pie spice into whipped cream before spreading onto cake.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted chopped pecans to cake filling if desired.