Raspberry Triple Fruit Scones
Layers of pastry baked with jam in the centre makes for a delicious make ahead treat to grab on the go or serve for brunch.
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream (approx.)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Raspberry Strawberry & Blackberry Fruit Spread
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) turbinado or coarse sugar
- Butter for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces remaining.
- Whisk cream, egg and vanilla; stir into flour mixture (do not overwork the dough). Knead dough gently 4 or 5 times; divide in half. Roll out each half on lightly floured work surface; pat or roll into 7-inch (18 cm) circle.
- Spread 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the fruit spread over top of one round of dough, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Top with remaining round. Pinch to seal outside edge; cut into 8 wedges. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with additional cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C); bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with remaining fruit spread, and butter (if using).
Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Fruit Spreads in scones.
Add 2 tsp (10 mL) of lemon zest or orange zest to dough for citrus flavour.
If two layers of scone are slipping, insert a toothpick into scone point while baking to keep in place; remove after baking.