Strawberry & Cream Sandwich Cookies
A classic recipe the whole family can make together. Layer your favourite E.D.SMITH® jam or spread between these cookies to make a sandwich.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Strawberry Raspberry & Plum Fruit Spread
- Stir the flour with the baking powder and salt; set aside. Beat the butter with the sugar and cardamom until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Slowly add the flour; beat on low for 3 minutes or until the dough comes together. Form the dough into two discs and wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Position the racks to the top and bottom thirds of the oven. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to be 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Using a 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out about 24 cookies from each disc; re-rolling the scraps once, if necessary. divide half the cookies between baking sheets. Chill for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Bake, in batches rotating trays once, for 12 minutes or until golden just around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Spread jam on half the cookies and cap with remaining cookies.
1. Use any of your favourite E.D.SMITH TRIPLE FRUITS® Fruit Spreads. 2. Cookies can be made in advance and held in an airtight container for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month. Fill with jam and spread up to 1 day in advance. 3. Use any shape 2-inch (5 cm) cutter or an assortment. 4. Cut a small hole in the centre of half the cookies to create a "window" that will allow the jam to shine through the top of the cookie.