Vegan Turmeric Pumpkin Soup With Tahini
Antioxidant-rich turmeric gives this velvety and rich dairy-free soup a beautiful orange colour. Comforting on a cold day but delicious any time of year.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tsp (10 mL) turmeric powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
Pumpkin Soup with Tahini:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 can (796 mL) E.D.SMITH® Pure Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tahini paste, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Lime wedges
- Spice Mix: In small bowl, combine coriander, turmeric, cumin, cayenne and cinnamon.
- Pumpkin Soup with Tahini: Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat; cook onion and carrot for 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt and prepared spice mix; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk and pumpkin. Simmer for 30 minutes; using immersion blender, blend until smooth. Stir in honey and lime juice.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with dollop of lentils in centre. Drizzle with tahini and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lime wedges.
Serve soup with crispy pappadums or crackers.
Soup will freeze well for up to 6 weeks.